lost password?
or Register

PeopleofSize.com Community » Mental Health » Depression and Weight

Depression and Weight

Started by POS May 17, 2010 11:20PM

POS

starstar

POS's photo

Does depression cause weight gain or does weight gain cause depression?

BJ

star

BJ's photo

I think being overweight and hating myself helped bring on the onset of a major depressive episode. It is hard to enjoy life when you hate yourself. Then to make matters worse during the lowest lows I put on weight in a second. I think when you have a hard time just getting out of bed, you expend less energy and don't eat regularly which slows down your metabolism and on goes the weight.

Aki-chan

Aki-chan's photo

It's definitely both. Depression can cause you to have lower levels of energy, and therefore you're less motivated to get up and exercise, and it's easier to put on weight. Also, when you gain weight, or are overweight for a long time, like I've been for almost all my life, you always are depressed about how you look and how others see you. You're never truly happy and you can put on a smile and try to satisfy your friends and family and say you think you're pretty, but inside you still feel fat and ugly. That's how I feel every day.

Cosette

Cosette's photo

BJ wrote:
I think when you have a hard time just getting out of bed, you expend less energy and don't eat regularly which slows down your metabolism and on goes the weight.
Aki-chan wrote:
You're never truly happy and you can put on a smile and try to satisfy your friends and family and say you think you're pretty, but inside you still feel fat and ugly. That's how I feel every day.

Aki - I could not have said better how I feel currently. BJ, I'd like to add to what you said.

It seems like depression is just another diet from the perspective of our body. From my experience, in the lowest levels of depression I've been in, I have lost weight during the depression. However, it doesn't take long as soon as I'm out of depression and start eating again for the weight to come back on. In the same way my weight has risen higher than it was before dieting, I have seen the same thing happen to me after major depression.

The worst of it all? Apparently, major depression and hovering suicidal is a great thing! Everyone was complimenting me on my weight loss. It shows how little people actually care about your health and well-being. If someone of average weight, or even slightly considered overweight, starts dropping so many pounds - everyone shows extreme concern and sympathy.

The constant tug towards depression - (being reminded every day, every where, that fat and ugly are synonyms) keeps me in at least mild depression most of the time. My eating is extremely irregular.
twitter facebook linkedin myspace digg del.icio.us google yahoo newsvine.com

Question of the Day

Suggest a Question of the Day

Stay Connected

Yes! Please add me to your newsletter
so I can stay on top of the latest news
at PeopleOfSize.com

Take The PeopleOfSize.com Survey

Submit Website Feedback