Community Discussions

Let's Talk About It

Login

Member Login

lost password?
or Register

PeopleofSize.com Community » Health Practitioners » What is a size friendly doctor?

What is a size friendly doctor?

Started by POS May 17, 2010 11:25PM

POS

starstar

POS's photo

Does your doctor focus on your weight or your health?

Cosette

Cosette's photo

Ten years ago, it seemed every doctor had something to say about my bmi. Lately, I am either lucky or today less doctors are obsessed with focusing on weight as the primary issue and all other health concerns secondary. Occasionally, a doctor will ask about my diet (though that usually is really asking about your weight.) Do I believe some foods are probably more nutritious than others? Yes, but I don't need to be told what foods to eat. Every doctor has a different idea of how to eat anyways.

However, until I find out that all thin children, teens and adults are questioned about their diets routinely and if they are eating more nutritious foods, no fat person should be subjected to the same questioning. I remember feeling so angry once when a doctor essentially laid down the law of what I should not be eating or drinking as a teenager. Why? Because I wasn't even eating the things mentioned but it was assumed automatically that I was.

A size friendly doctor to me
-does not have a scale
-would not bring up weight at all, ever
-would only bring up your diet if the patient asks
-doesn't bring their personal bias and judgments to work
-actually cares about your self image and happiness
twitter facebook linkedin myspace digg del.icio.us google yahoo newsvine.com

Question of the Day

Suggest a Question of the Day

Stay Connected

Yes! Please add me to your newsletter
so I can stay on top of the latest news